Crankshaft Machining and Journal Repair
In-Place Crankshaft Machining
Goltens has long been the leader in in-situ crankshaft machining and crankshaft grinding for repairing large diameter crankshaft and journal surfaces. As the first company in the world to complete in-situ crankshaft grinding in the early 1950s, Goltens’ patents on its in-situ crankshaft grinding tooling revolutionized the industry with massive reductions in downtime for owners coping with crankshaft failures and damaged journals.
Through constant and focused R&D and field trial, Goltens has developed the most cutting-edge in-situ crankshaft machining tooling in the industry. On larger diesel crankshafts and damaged journals, this allows our highly skilled technicians to perform large scale jobs in a fraction of the time of traditional grinding, oftentimes with a single cut, fillet to fillet, with the highest tolerances. Goltens’ machining tooling can be applied to any large journal repair.
Goltens’ experience repairing damaged crankshafts extends far beyond the grinding and machining of crankshafts. Goltens has a great deal of experience repairing bent and twisted crankshafts In-Situ as well as the expert application of our in-situ crankshaft annealing process to remove hardness and salvage otherwise condemned crankshafts.
Goltens’ brand has always been synonymous with the repair of diesel crankshafts however, every year Goltens applies this precision machining technology to problems in the marine, industrial, stationary power and offshore sectors. Goltens is routinely called upon to repair damaged journals on any and all manner of rotating equipment including compressors, steam turbine rotors, worn turbine collector rings, hydro turbine journals and a myriad more applications.
Goltens’ Journal and Crankshaft Machining Advantages
- The vast experience of having repaired over 25,000 shafts on any size Main or Auxiliary engine
- Specially designed crankshaft machining tooling for In-place reconditioning without dismantling the full engine deployed at Goltens’ stations all around the globe
- A large, global team of highly skilled In-place machining technicians to ensure a rapid, expert response anytime and anywhere
Our In-Place Crankshaft Machining Specialization Includes
- Machining and grinding of and crankpin journals up to 1080 mm dia
- Grinding of main journals up to 1080 mm dia
- Machining and grinding of crankpin fillets
- Grinding of main journal fillets
- Machining and grinding of tail shafts/shafting up to 1080 mm dia
- Machining and grinding of damaged Journals for Steam and Hydro Turbines
- Straightening of bent crankshafts
- Annealing crankshafts to remove excess hardness
- Machining or grinding of crankshaft thrust collars
- Machining of coupling bolt holes (instead of reaming)
- Honing and/or blue fitting of crankpin journals
Remetalling and Machining Restore Agitator ShaftCase Study
Simultaneous Machining of Crankpins Speeds RepairCase Study
In-place machining of steam turbine rotor shaft in four daysCase Study
In-place machining and major maintenance service – Wartsila 18V50DFCase Study
Fast response and comprehensive repair for Arizona nuclear power plant
Let Goltens Solve Your Challenge
Goltens is the right partner for ship owners and power plant operators all over the world. Response to all service enquiries typically falls within 12 hours.
Find Your Region’s Contact
Select a region below and find the right Goltens expert