Crankshaft and Journal Machining
In-Place Crankshaft and Journal Machining
Goltens has long been the leader in in-situ crankshaft and journal grinding and machining. As the first company in the world to complete in-situ crankshaft grinding in the early 1950s, Goltens’ patents on its in-situ crankshaft grinding tooling revolutionized the industry with massive reductions in down time for owners coping with crankshaft failures and damaged journals.
Through constant and focused R&D and field trial, Goltens has developed the most cutting-edge in-situ crankshaft machining tooling in the industry. On larger diesel engines and damaged journals, this allows our highly skilled technicians to perform large scale jobs in a fraction of the time of traditional grinding, oftentimes with a single cut fillet to fillet with the highest tolerances.
Goltens’ experience repairing damaged crankshafts extends far beyond the grinding and cutting of crankshafts. Goltens has a great deal of experience repairing bent and twisted crankshafts In-Situ as well as the expert application of our in-situ crankshaft annealing process to remove hardness and salvage otherwise condemned crankshafts.
Goltens’ brand has always been synonymous with the repair of diesel crankshafts however, every year Goltens applies this precision machining technology to problems in the marine, industrial, stationary power and offshore sectors. Goltens is routinely called upon to repair damaged journals on any and all manner of rotating equipment including compressors, turbines and other shafts and journals.
Goltens’ Crankshaft and Journal Machining Advantages
- The vast experience of having repaired over 25,000 shafts on any size Main or Auxiliary engine
- Specially designed machining rigs for In-Situ reconditioning without dismantling the shaft deployed at Goltens stations all around the globe
- A large, global team of highly skilled In-Situ technicians to ensure a rapid, expert response anytime and anywhere
Our Crankshaft and Journal Machining Specialization Includes
- Machining and grinding of and crankpin journals up to 1080 mm dia
- Grinding of main journals up to 1080 mm dia
- Machining and grinding of crankpin fillets
- Grinding of main journal fillets
- Machining and grinding of tail shafts/shafting up to 1080 mm dia
- Machining and grinding of damaged Journals for Steam and Hydro Turbines
- Straightening of bent crankshafts
- Machining or grinding of crankshaft thrust collars
- Machining of coupling bolt holes (instead of reaming)
- Honing and/or blue fitting of crankpin journals
Let Goltens Solve Your Challenge
Goltens is the right partner for ship owners and power plant operators all over the world. Response to all service enquiries typically falls within 12 hours.