Hyundai MAN B&W 6L28/32H crankshaft repair and replacement
Bent crankshaft repaired in workshop
Not all crankshaft repairs can be performed in-place inside the engine. Such was the case on the BW Trader, an LPG Tanker which had suffered damage to crankpin #3 on one of its Hyundai MAN B&W 6L28/32H auxiliary generators. Goltens was asked to inspect the damage during the vessel’s stay at Keppel Shipyard in Singapore.
Upon inspection of the damage, Goltens’ specialist determined that the bend in the crankshaft was too large to remove by in-place machining. Goltens advised that the crankshaft needed to be removed and taken to Goltens’ facility for straightening and journal repairs. Goltens reviewed the repair procedure with the attending superintendent and mobilized teams to the vessel to begin the job.
Damaged crankshaft rigged for transport to shop
MPI crack tests performed on all journals
Straightening of crankshaft in Goltens' workshop
Inspection of work by vessel superintendent
Calibration check on main bearing pockets
Repaired crankshaft rigged into engine
Reassembly of engine
Reassembled and repaired auxiliary generator
CRANKSHAFT REPLACEMENT AND REBUILD:
- Disassembly of engine and rigging of crankshaft from engine room and re-assembled of engine components.
- Full inspection of crankshaft including MPI test on all journals to ensure no crack
- Straightening of crankshaft and machining crankpins to undersize
- Full inspection of engine block and other components
- Laser alignment checks on all main bearing pockets
- Overhaul of pistons and honing of liners
- Installation of repaired crankshaft and rebuild of engine
- Blue fit of all machined journals
- Laser alignment of engine and generator
Once the engine was flushed and alarms were tested, the engine was commissioned and successfully tested under operational load. Goltens Singapore completed the job ahead of schedule and handed over the engine to a very satisfied customer.
|Engine:||Hyundai MAN 6L28/32H|
Download a PDF of this Resource
(Right click and select "Save File As..." or "Save Link As..." to save)Download Now