X-Y vertical milling and line boring
350 Tonne A-frame Crane for Saigon Shipyard
Over a period of three months, Goltens completed an extensive X-Y milling and line-boring project in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for Saigon Shipyard (SSY). Goltens was contacted to support SSY in the construction of a 350 tonne A Frame crane.
Goltens was contacted to support SSY in the construction of a 350 tonne A Frame crane. The workscope included the vertical milling of the leg and cross beam flanges and line boring the jointing holes. This involved 7 cross beam flanges, the largest being 5.6m long x 1.6m wide and over 41 bores ranging in size from 195mm to 340mm. Goltens deployed its line boring and X/Y Milling equipment and specialists to the shipyard and began work.
XY Milling machinery in operation
In-place line boring one of 41 A-Frame jointing holes
Larger XY milling set up on crane A-Frame
To ensure the bores were all in perfect alignment and the flanges were perfectly flat, Goltens used the latest in laser alignment and flatness-checking equipment. On the largest of the flanges, Goltens’ 3m x 3m X/Y milling equipment had to be repositioned several times. The results were crosschecked by the customer’s quality control department and by the classification society and all surfaces passed without fail.
|350 Tonne Capacity A-Frame|
|Vertical Flanges machined||5.6M x1.6Mx 2 pcs 2.3M x 2.3 M x 4 pcs 1.8 M x 1.6M x 1pc|
|Material removed from flanges:||7- 10 mm|
|Line boring hole Diameter:||195mm – 340mm|
|Number of holes bored:||41|
|Material removed from holes:||12-20mm of bore|
X-Y MILLING REPAIRS
- Laser flatness checking & vertical milling of 2 A-frame Deck bracket bed plates: W1.6M x L 5.65M x 30 tonnes
- Laser flatness checking & vertical milling of 4 Port & Starboard side A-frame Legs and Cross beam flanges: W2.3M x L 2.3M x 30 tonnes
- Laser flatness checking & vertical Milling of the A-frame cross beam top flange: W 1.6M x L 1.87M x 25 tonnes
- In-situ line boring for 41 A-frame jointing holes with diameters ranging from 195 mm to 340mm.
- Assisted the shipyard in reassembling the A frame to confirm machined items were satisfactory.
X-Y MILLING RESULTS
The satisfied customer commented that the complex job was completed on time and that final results were excellent and extremely accurate.
Download a PDF of this Resource
(Right click and select "Save File As..." or "Save Link As..." to save)Download Now