Marine diesel engine overhauls on chemical tanker M/T Charleston
Sulzer 5RLB90 and MAN B&W 9L28/32 overhauls during shipyard period
US Shipping Corp. recently contracted Goltens to undertake comprehensive main and auxiliary engine work on the M/T Charleston, a 49,000 DWT chemical tanker undergoing repairs at a New Jersey shipyard.
The owner required significant work to be completed on the Sulzer 5RLB90 M/E and overhauls of two of the vessel’s three MAN B&W 9L28/32 auxiliary engines.
M/V Charleston in drydock
Retapping of Bolt holes
Removal of Cylinder heads
Top end overhaul in progress
ENGINE OVERHAUL PROJECT FACTS
|Main Engine:||48,844 DWT|
|Main Engine Output:||Sulzer 5RLB90|
|Aux Engines:||12,540 KW (17,000 HP) 3 X MAN B&W 9L28/32|
MARINE DIESEL ENGINE REPAIRS
MAIN ENGINE REPAIRS:
- Inspection and overhaul of three piston assemblies
- Inspection of all crankpin and crosshead bearings
- Rebabbiting and class inspection of 4 crankpin bearings at Goltens’ workshop and subsequent reinstallation
- Renewal of exhaust bellows
- Removal, cleaning and refitting the charge air cooler
AUXILLARY ENGINE REPAIRS:
- The engines were disassembled, cleaned, parts overhauled and reassembled.
- All cylinder heads, cylinder liners, fuel pumps and fuel injectors were overhauled in Goltens’ workshop facility
All work was completed to the satisfaction of the vessel’s Superintendent and Chief Engineer. CUSTOMER TESTIMONIAL: ‘In our long standing relationship Goltens has completed numerous engine overhauls and component reconditioning work on both 2 and 4 stroke engines. Their work is consistently delivered in a professional manner and the work they performed on the Charleston was no exception.’ -US Shipping Corp.
Download a PDF of this Resource
(Right click and select "Save File As..." or "Save Link As..." to save)Download Now