Aft stern tube bearing rebabbitting & machining
Stern tube bearing remetalling
During a special dry-docking, the owners of the Charles Eddie, a 305,178 DWT crude oil tanker, found white metal material squeezed from the aft stern tube bearing. Recognizing the severity of the issue and the requirement for a highly specialized repair, the customer contacted Goltens to provide alignment checks and rebabbitting of the 790mm diameter x 1,710mm stern tube.
Goltens, a pioneer in the field developing proprietary centrifugal casting machinery to meet the highest tolerances and quickly repair and recondition bearings , responded immediately to address the vessel’s pressing schedule.
Centrifugal casting of stern tube bearing
|M/V Charles Eddie|
|Main Engine:||MAN B&W 7S80MC|
- Performed laser alignment check of the shaft line onboard the vessel
- Incoming inspection of AFT stern tube bearing in the workshop
- Removal of white metal from bearing shell
- Rebabbitting the AFT stern tube bearing
- Finish machining white metal bearing surface to final diameter according to specification at workshop
- Measuring the final size and complete inspection by UT and dye checking at workshop (witnessed by LR Class surveyor and ship owner)
- Laser alignment check of stern tube bearing when reinstalled onboard the vessel
Goltens workshop completed the rebabbitting service within 5 days including coordinating with shipyard and Class society in order to meet the vessel’s urgent schedule.
Download a PDF of this Resource
(Right click and select "Save File As..." or "Save Link As..." to save)Download Now